My Quiet Space

Thursday, January 12, 2006

a macro pic of a lady bug on Hannah's hand.

Misty and Bethany checking out the weeds on a warm windy day in January. This is an example of a pic that I did not follow the meter in the camera, resulting in a pic that is too bright.

We went walking around in what use to be Lake Tawakoni. Misty went running off and Hannah sunk in the mud trying to catch her. An example of a time when you should put down the camera and help your child ;)




Misty and Bethany on the 3 wheeler.

Dad bought me an awesome, lightweight tripod when he was in town last. It's been pretty cool, so I haven't gotten to test it out yet. I'm slowly figuring out the camera between talking to dad, reading the user's manual for the Minolta(I'm amazed he kept it for over 30 years), and the Time Life collection of books on Photography that he also gave me.

Mark put me on the defensive yesterday. Apparently, he looked through the pics I recently got developed. He said "not to be hating on that camera, but it doesn't take pictures as good as the digital" I had to explain to him all the mechanics that go into taking a picture with it, and that when used properly, it will capture pictures much better than the digital. Then I started getting seriously depressed that I'll never get the hang of this, it's all a waste of time, and any dreams of photographing for financial gain were stupid. *sigh*

I guess it'll be a fun hobby while I continue playing secretary for free for Mark, and mommy to all my sweet girls.

7 Comments:

Blogger shopspacemonkey said...

It may take a while to get the "hang" of that camera, but don't forget your natural talent!!

I like your attitude though, just keep pluggin'.

Angie

1/14/2006 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

i think your pictures are strikingly beautiful.

Keep at it!

1/15/2006 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

Well...I disagree with Mark. I LOVE your photos! I found a quote for you:

The painter constructs, the photographer discloses. - Susan Sontag.

1/16/2006 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

I love the new pictures! You do a good job of capturing the girls' thoughful expressions.

1/16/2006 03:30:00 PM  
Blogger Kellee said...

Yeah, no offense to Mark, but please don't let him piss on your dream! You've got talent, Cathy! We all know it. It's obvious you have a natural eye for things. I love your pics & would pay good money for you to come & take picd of my kiddos.

Your girls are beautiful...it's obvious they get that from their momma! LOVE Mysti's hair!

Love ya, girl!

1/21/2006 05:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kellee said...

P.S. You've been TAGGED (see my latest entry).

1/21/2006 05:29:00 PM  
Blogger Big_Daddy said...

You have an eye for your subject matter and know how to frame it. I think your pictures are great and always look foward to seeing them. If I had to nitpick for the sake of constructive criticism, I would say (comparing your film shots to digital) the color in the film shots are more muted (don't "pop" as much). The thing to remember about that is the time of year the shots were taken (it might not be as colorful) and on most digital cameras the saturation is set high because consumers tend to like vivid colors (regardless of accuracy). I think the mind tends to remember colors more vividly than reality, and our mind at times "sees" differently than our eyes do.

The other thing to mind is color film processing can alter the properties of the image as well. I used to take alot of color slide film which isn't affected by the color corrections the automatic machines do at the print stage. I felt I got a truer sense of what I actually captured (or what I was trying to do).

That said I think the color in you picts are good. The color directs your attention to your subject and are not distracting or overpowering. Keep snapping!

I haven't used a tripod for photos since John was born!! HA!

2/03/2006 11:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!